In the 1920s, Oscar Brousse Jacobson learned of five gifted Indian artists.
After being introduced to their works, he enrolled four Kiowa Indians as "special art students" at the University of Oklahoma School of Art, even though they
didn't meet the traditional college entry requirements.
Spencer Asah, Jack Hokeah, Stephen Mopope and Monroe Tsatoke could only afford the education for a short time and returned to their
homes near Anadarko in June 1927.
Jacobson enlisted the help of Ponca City oilman Lew H. Wentz to finance the remainder of their educations. The four returned, along
with fellow artist Lois Smoky in the spring of 1928. Lois Smoky only stayed one semester and was replaced by James
The five men became known as the Kiowa Five.
Copies of the following prints on cardstock, may be obtained for $20.00 each, plus shipping and handling.